Many owners choose to maximize the versatility of their machetes by putting different edges on different parts of the blade. This is by no means necessary for most uses. This video shows how it is possible to customize different parts of the machete blade for different uses:
- Upper cutting edge-convex grind for chopping
- Lower cutting edge-scandinavian grind for fine cutting/whittling
- Lower spine of the blade-squared for making tinder shavings and planing
- Upper spine rounded for gripping with two hands when planing
- Part of blade right above handle filed flat for striking fire steel.